Friday, November 28, 2008

The Trouble With Turkey Fat

It’s Black Friday.

That’s the day after American Thanksgiving when it is tradition to shop for the best deals of the year. It’s similar to Boxing Day in Canada.

Black Friday. Sounds kind of, well, dark, doesn’t it? Like the Black Plague or Black Death. Apparently it’s because profits are in the black that day.

The title is unimaginative but appropriate. I know any time I have to line up to go shopping, it's like being sucked into a Black Hole. I’ll bet a man came up with the name.

My American buddies have been asking how Canadians celebrate Thanksgiving. I’ve been telling them the celebration is similar but Canadians DO have one different custom. You know, the one where we take the turkey fat, strip down, grease ourselves up and engage in some friendly after-dinner wrasslin’. That’s a Canadian custom, right? Surely that can’t be just my family? The only problem is that it’s colder in Canada so the turkey fat tends to congeal in … um… uncomfortable places.

You see, I’m pulling more than just turkey legs this Thanksgiving.

I have no photos from this Thanksgiving, which was warm and filling and oh so pleasant, so I'll show you a photo from last year when we spent the holiday in Chattanooga TN.

This is Lookout Mountain and from this vantage point, you can gaze into five different states. It was a strategic spot during the Civil War, and three major battles took place nearby.

No comments: