Sunday, August 29, 2010

Booga-Booga

Tasted the genteel life this slow Sunday morn. Sat in the comfy chair in the upstairs vestibule in the gentle light from the big windows with the holstein cat as company and read a chapter from "Midnight in the Garden of Good And Evil." I haven't had the chance to read much lately except for the 15 minutes I usually take before bedtime. My trip through the sights and sounds of Savannah was abruptly broken when the graceful Sweet-Pea fell from the window ledge. With a dignity and convenient memory reserved for fallen cats, she wandered off with a cartoon bubble over her head, exclaiming "Who me? Fall? Why the notion is utterly preposterous! Wait, what's that over there? A piece of string? How interesting!"

There is a little less of me these days. Elisabeth too. We are being faithful to our Weight Watchers diet and it is turning into a lifestyle. No temptations to fall off the wagon. Yet. Santa, we've been extreeeee good this year. For Christmas, could you please bring me a chunk of chocolate cake the size of your big ole fat head?

Chatted with Dad last night. He told me he had an eye appt. and the medico told him that he had no trace of diabetes, for which he had been previously diagnosed. Apparently there is a symptom which manifests itself in your eyes. He also has 20-20 vision. He'll be 81 in October. Not bad dear Dad. Diet, exercise and attitude. I hope both my vision, attitude and social life is as acute as yours in my later years.

Well, maybe not the social life. Whenever possible, which is not often these days, I'm finding the life of a creative recluse more appealing.

In retirement, I picture my skinny self in a dirty white robe galavanting through the woods behind my house, scaring the deer and 'possums, shouting "Booga-Booga" and laughing maniacally. After a long day of booga-booga-ing, I'll come in for a nice cat food dinner. My lovely wife will inquire about my day and I about hers. There will be reading by the fire, interspersed with oh-so-pleasant conversation. Every now and again, there will be contemplation of the vastness of the universe on the swings in the backyard while staring with wonder into the heavens on starry, starry nights. There will be time to create tiny universes of my own on the computer screen, clever, twisted, colourful little worlds conjured up from a photo I have taken. Perhaps I'll write a word or two in a weak moment, an article, a short story, a dirty joke. And maybe, just maybe, once in a blue moon, I will put on something besides a dirty white robe and visit with a friend or two because in all honesty, while I am at the moment not that fond of humanity in general, I do have some kick-ass friends in particular.

Ah but for now, my kick-ass friends, the show must go on!

WCTE is hosting Blues & Brews in October. One of my jobs is to create the promotional campaign, plus the illustrations, posters, on-air spots, print ads and, well, everything. Tomorrow morning I will become Dr. Fun, a Medicine Show Snake-Oil salesman, and shoot a spot for a Blues & Brews commercial. Always a new adventure on the horizon- I haven't starred in a commercial before.


No comments: